Switching off the Blacklight

At the outset of the project we had planned to use Blacklight as the user interface to Apache Solr through which we would present our reporting interface. This post describes the reasons that we subsequently abandoned this approach and developed an alternative which met our requirements.

The principle issue that we had with using Blacklight was simply due to the instability of the install process. Although Blacklight is a Ruby on Rails application, and should therefore be highly portable, the technical team had significant problems getting it to work across all the relevant platforms. Much of the development work for the project took place on Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac OS X, but the primary deployment environment was to be Windows; as such, portability is very important.

Installation on Ubuntu was difficult, although not impossible, and we blogged a How-To guide which patched some holes in existing online guides. Results on Windows were variable, with issues of dependency version resolution being the primary difficulty (although this was not the only issue, and was also not limited to the Windows install). Installation on Mac OS X proved too error prone to complete at all.

While we anticipate that these installation problems would ultimately be resolvable, they reduced our confidence in Ruby on Rails as a workable environment and also held up progress on the interesting parts of the project!

Another limitation for Blacklight was that ranged faceting was not supported in the default install. Instead there was an experimental add-on available which would have offered this feature. Ranged faceting is a key component for the project as the reporting needs to be limited by date (for example, per academic year or RAE/REF period). Ultimately we decided that – given the difficulties getting started with Blacklight – adopting an experimental add-on would raise the risk of project failure to an unacceptable level (given only 6 months for the whole project).

For these reasons we embarked on a short experiment to explore the difficulty of providing a basic reporting UI from scratch which would meet the project requirements. We found that it took a very small amount of time to develop the basic facet viewing features, and so we continued to introduce ranged searching and a more appropriate report generating interface. Having found that we could provide a more stable application (written in Python) which would provide us with the desired functionality, the project therefore decided to abandon Blacklight and dedicate some development time to our own interface.

It is worth noting that the important features of the reporting approach actually lie in Apache Solr – this does all the hard work in indexing, searching and faceting the content. The User Interface exists purely as a presentation layer, so we do not lose anything by switching from Blacklight to a custom development.

A future post will provide more details about the custom development.

Advertisements

One Response to Switching off the Blacklight

  1. […] per our previous post, significant problems were had in stabilising Blacklight, so a brief exploratory was carried out in […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: